If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R Tolkien

14 January 2011

Silvoplee - possibly the best vegetarian restaurant in Helsinki

I have heard about this restaurant many many times, but somehow I just hadn't visited even though I've been living in Helsinki for two years now! This week I've already been there twice and I can feel that I'm going to be a regular.

So what is this place I'm talking about? It's a vegetarian place called Silvoplee, located in Hakaniemi on Toinen linja 3, just opposite the food market. They're open for lunches and they serve a buffet with an overwhelming choice of hot foods, soup and salads. The food is priced at just under 20 e per kilo so it's not super cheap but the ingredients are good quality and the variety is excellent. They also offer some delicious looking desserts, freshly made juices and the house tea was tasty.

Menu of the week

Some of the foods (not the best picture)

Buffet 19,58/kg, Soup 13,89/kg

There is a nice, warm atmosphere

The front door. Check the website for more info!

It's not always easy or cheap to buy a lot of different kinds of fresh vegetables. So when you don't feel like chopping and cooking for yourself, this is the perfect place for lunch! I recommend this place also for the meat lovers, who are a bit suspicious about vegetarian food, as the dishes are tasty and do really fill you up! I'm not trying to convert anyone to become vegetarian, but there are so many good reasons to reduce eating meat.

At the moment I'm in the process of reading the book Eating animals by Jonathan Safran Foer, and it's eye opening even for me, and I have been thinking about these issues for a while, been a vegetarian since 1998. I will probably do a book review once I'm finished with it but I can already recommend it to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment