If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R Tolkien

22 October 2011

Shroomy risotto



A couple of days ago I was going to visit my friend's new place and was given the permission to take over her kitchen. This often happens when I visit people, no one seems to mind, but it makes me wonder if everyone thinks I am a kitchen-nazi or something. I also love cooking but often I just make food for myself and those times you can't really call it cooking, if I just make salads most days. So it's always nice to make a small effort for something more interesting. I could say that risottos have become my favourite thing to cook for friends and family as I always get compliments for them. This time I took some black chanterelles (suppilovahvero in Finnish) with me and we shopped for the rest together before my friend introduced her kitchen to me. 


My awesome shroomy risotto 
Serves 4 (or 2 if you are seriously hungry!)

Butter
Mushrooms (Chanterelles, ceps, button mushrooms, whatever you have!)
2 tbsp Oil
3 dl Risotto rice
Garlic, depends on how much you love it
1 Onion
5 dl Good vegetable stock
2 dl  White wine (could use red as well)
100g Parmesan
Fresh sage
Salt & pepper

Panfry the chopped mushrooms in butter, add salt and pepper. Set aside for later.
Place the oil and risotto rice in a non stick pan, add garlic and onion when the pan gets hot and the rice is nicely glaced. Add 1 dl of veg stock and let simmer. Keep adding the stock and white wine gradually until the rice is cooked for your liking (taste!), usually takes around 15 minutes. With the last bit of stock add the mushrooms, parmesan and sage, mix well, take off heat and enjoy in a couple of minutes! 


We tried two wines with the risotto, both worked but we preferred the white. (Although the red one had that cute picture of a dog on it, so extra points for that).

White wine recommendation: Wolfberger (W)3, Riesling, Muscat, Pinot Gris, Alsace, France
Red wine recommendation: Trifula, Nebbiolo, Barbera d'Asti, Dolcetto and Pinot noir, Piemonte, Italy


I also have to recommend the band we saw after our dinner, French Films were playing at Tavastia and they were great! I hope they become the next big thing in Finland, beautiful music. Here's a clip for those who would like to check it out:


No comments:

Post a Comment